Sunday, March 16, 2014

A gardening we will go

When weeding I tend to work on the principle that if something has survived a year in my flower bed it's almost certainly a weed. To paraphrase Polly Garter, 'Nothing grows in my garden except weeds and grannies bonnets.'

There's a lady - I assume it's a woman because they're a very female sounding flower - who lives at the other end of Clyne woods, near Killay, who claims to have Britain's national collection of Aquilegia. I don't mean to cast doubt on her claim - I'm sure she does - but, whereas no doubt she carefully tends hers, we can't stop them shooting up everywhere in our garden. 

However I am proud to announce that the tubs I planted a week ago are still alive!
And not a Grannie's bonnet in sight.

Nor thankfully any skunk cabbage arum lilies.
It's amazing the difference a week of sunshine has made to the flowers in Clyne Gardens. These skunk lilies were merely shoots last week and are now in almost full bloom. They make a beautiful picture in the bog garden but you wouldn't want to get too close to them; they smell much as the name suggests.

1 comment:

CherryPie said...

That tub is looking very pretty :-)