Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Didn't we have a lovely time the day we went to Barry ...

Island?

My cousin Rhian lives in a gorgeous spot, close to Cardiff, looking across the Bristol Channel. As I had been sceptical about the delights of dog walking in Barry Island she invited me to go and see for myself, and I finally did that this week on what turned out to be a lovely sunny day.

When I was growing up Barry Island was THE day trip location for the mining families of the south Wales valleys and was home to a famous fun fair and, for some time, a Butlins holiday camp. 
Latterly it's regained fame as Stacey's home town in the sitcom Gavin and Stacey.

The town itself is a bit run-down and a large area including the site of today's funfair is scheduled for redevelopment, but the beach and headland paths retain their charm. The main beach gets very crowded in the height of summer but a short walk around the headlands on either side take you to much quieter bays.

Jackson Beach


The main beach at Barry Island

Nessa's slots
And a day trip to Barry Island wouldn't be complete without fish and chips! (Sadly eaten before I remembered to take a photo.)

No comments: