Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Hilarious?

We first started working on Christy's story way back when. Way back when this was my method of recording.
cassette recorder, old skool, retro
It still works.

* * * * * * * *
Today the Queen's Baton begins its trip around Wales on its way to the 2018 Commonwealth Games. It started in Mumbles at 7.30 this morning. I really intended to get up and go and cheer it on its way, really I did.

* * * * * * * *
We have run out of programmes to watch of an evening. Even with Netflix, Now and Amazon we can't find anything to watch. At least nothing that we can agree on. So yesterday, in a charity shop I bought a dvd for £1. Hope Springs with Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones.

"Hilarious" and "Very funny" were two of the quotes on the cover of this 'new comedy'. I can only assume I inadvertently bought the Director's Cut, in which he cut out all the humour. Tommy Lee Jones' grumpy husband bore a striking resemblance to Husband at the beginning and it looked promising. But wasn't.

We needed cheering up afterwards so watched The Thick of It. We're working our way through the seasons alongside Yes, Minister, and The IT Crowd. Those two we've seen before but we never got into TTOI when it was on originally. (It was after our bedtime I believe.)

I'm guessing that both political comedies are very true to life as it was/is then. Give me Sir Humphrey over Malcolm Tucker any day. But the spin-doctor did have a wonderful line recently, one of the best descriptions of someone I've ever heard. About Ollie (left) he said, 'He looks like a drawing by Quentin Blake.'



3 comments:

Beside a babbling brook... said...

We watch netflix, each on our own tablet. Well, a big tablet, if that is what one calls those things, even. I get lost, trying to remember the "names," of all these techy things. They are proped up, by their cases, on our laps. Not just hand held, like a phone.

anyway, he watches what he wants, and I, what I want. Perfect! ,-)

And of course, with head phones, it can be done.

Liz Hinds said...

Now that's a good idea, Luna!

Sharon said...

Am not up on what the queen's baton is or is doing. I slept in myself and heavens knows what I missed.

Never heard of that movie. Not everyone's idea of hilarious is the same. I know some people who actually think the Three Stooges are funny. I don't. They were probably hard up for words to describe the movie and had a hat full of adjectives to draw from.

That fellow does resemble the cartoon, er, the cartoon does resemble the man.