Thursday, September 07, 2017

In trouble with the law

conker, horse chestnut
Yay! My first proper conker of the year.

I found it at the entrance to Clyne Gardens and after I'd picked it up I waited for the hand on my shoulder.

When my cousin, Lynne, and I were young we were taken to Clyne. We must have wandered off from the family and we picked a small bunch of wild flowers. Suddenly we were surrounded by park-keepers! There must have been five at least. (Okay, maybe just two but it was still a bit excessive to apprehend two nine-year-old girls.)

They told us off and took the flowers from us. I've never picked wild flowers since. (That may not be strictly true but if I have it's been in a very sustainable way.)

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm lost. You picked up a nut? That's illegal?

Liz Hinds said...

No, Sharon, it's not. I was just remembering the wild flower picking, which is illegal!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Ohhhhh....

Getting 'pinched.'

At 9 years of age!

For picking wild flowers!!!!

Surely a life of crime, in the making!!!!

-giggggles-

Cute memory!!!!!!

Does she remember too, I wonder???

Liz Hinds said...

I don't know, Luna. Lynne and I were very close growing up and spent a lot of time together but later on she moved away and cut herself off from the family. And when we met a few years ago it turned out that her memories were very different from mine.