Friday, October 13, 2017

Death cleaning

Uncle downsized first from a large house in Nottingham to a cottage in Mumbles and then to an apartment so he had already disposed of a lot of life's clutter before he died. I had comparatively little to sort and throw but it did make me aware of all the junk in my own home. So since then I've tried to begin de-cluttering or death cleaning as the Swedes prefer to think of it. 


Broken irreparable Fitbit
I'd taken a short break but today I began again with a vengeance. I began with my Fitbit. Broken, apparently irreparable and useless - my Fitbit not me - I was still reluctant to throw it out. But I did. 

And I followed it with my cow. It's been on my bookshelf in pieces since two Christmases ago when a grandchild dropped it. I was living with the hope that, one day, Husband would turn up with the superglue and all would be well in bovine world once more. Looking at it today I realised it's in an awful lot of pieces. I think it would take a master potter to mend this broken cow.


I also discovered evidence of my slimming history.

Apparently I joined Weightwatchers in 1998. I say 'apparently' because it has my name on it but I have no memory of it. It didn't last long: I weighed 9st 12lbs on joining and 9st 11 and a half lbs on leaving five weeks later.

I tried again more successfully in 2011, this time with Rosemary Conley.

It's fascinating what you forget.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Yep, looks like the cow had it.
Without some 'trigger' to help me remember things, I can be lost.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Since I, an only child, had to clean out my 2 story family home, when both parents had died..... I know the HORROR that such, can entail.

So I sometimes go through a real getting rid of stuff. The best was when we had "Chuck It" come in and do just that! "Chuck" where I pointed. Problem is,my husband nearly had a fit. he is of the, maybe I or someone else, will make use of or want this, later. UGH!

sooooo, got a lot cleaned out. he had one fit, about something. and we then proceeded to not do any more. -sigh-

Well, I tried!!!!! Just tell the kids, I tried.

We have a detailed will. What they want, they will get.

And maybe, just maybe, I'll talk him into another round with "Chuck It". LOL

I myself, would LOVE to have an empty upstairs. Other than what we really use, in different seasons. I love neat. -sigh-


Liz Hinds said...

It's strange the way some things are indelibly written on your memory though, Sharon usually when you would rather forget.

Both my husband and I belong to the 'it may come in useful' category, Luna. I blame the children's television programme, Blue Peter, where they were always making things out of old toilet rolls and cereal boxes. It instilled in me the need to keep things, just in case.