Friday, October 06, 2017

Life without social media

social media icons
Dropping in on new blogs I came across Ramana's Musings. His topic for today is 'Life without social media'.

When I thought about that I realised how important my blogging is to me. I could keep a diary instead but by blogging my thoughts there is at least the possibility that someone else will read them. Which is crucial to a writer. Especially a writer who is struggling to be published in real life.

I thought it would be interesting to look back on some of my older blog posts. I began in September 2005, which means I've been blogging for twelve years.

My second ever post went like this:

My first thought on waking this morning was: drumming class tonight. It's my first one and my initial enthusiasm hasn't waned so much as it's been tempered with trepidation. I have the timing of John Sampson and my co-ordination is even worse. I am liable to make a fool of myself. 

But does that matter as long as I enjoy it? My reason for learning is my inability to stand still when music is playing. Maybe I should do dancing instead. Oh, that's right, Harvey, I already do dancing. And look how good I am at that. 

It matters not. If this is a midlife crisis, bring it on.

It is a glorious autumn morning. The storm of last night has passed and a squirrel is nibbling a nut at the top of the steps. Charlie, who is sitting on the windowsill, does not like that one bit. She and Harvey shared my salmon last night. (What? You gave her some too? Harvey is sulking now.)


A strange phenomenon has occurred: I cleaned the lounge on Monday and today, Thursday, it is still tidy. I am amazed every time I go in there.

Harvey was George's great-great-great-great-uncle and Charlie is Daughter's cat - she must have been lodging with us temporarily. And then one from December 2011:

I could have sworn this morning that my hair straighteners were wishing me 'masseltof' (excuse the spelling).


They've never spoken to me before but perhaps they were just waiting for the right opportunity.

10 comments:

Cathy said...

My SM likes wax and wane like the moon. Some moths I'm all out and about around the net - then others you don't see me at all.

Then there's Still Waters.....the blog that started as a sort of online weight loss dialogue diary that I thought would keep me in line. Trouble was I couldn't keep to one subject and it morphed into anything and everything that came into my mind. I've had breaks but don't think I could stay away forever

Glad to have met you Liz ~ Cathy

Sharon said...

No idea when I began blogging, I had a blog before this one. Gave it up and have been sorry ever since. I began blogging for the 'company.' Many things to say for it.

Rummuser said...

I am glad that you visited and left a comment in my blog post. Thank you.

I can simply not think of not blogging at all. Sometimes, preoccupation with other matters may prevent me, but come Friday, the discipline of one post that some friends and I have set up for ourselves, must and will go up.

I shall follow your blog posts with interest and it will help if you can add feedburner plugin to your blog other readers and I can be adviced of your posts by email so that we don't miss any of your posts.

Liz Hinds said...

Hi Cathy, good to meet you too.

I think so, Sharon. If nothing else it allows me to empty my brain.

Welcome, Rummuser. I'll have a look for feedburner; I'm not familiar with it.

PipeTobacco said...

I can understand the diary versus blogging idea. It is similar for me. I started in 2003, myself. I too wish to be a published author (other than dry, scientific research, which is more like reporting). I woul love to write a novel that is published.

Liz Hinds said...

Oh me too, Pipetobacco.

MaryB said...

I started blogging just before you 9 August 2005. It depresses me to go back and read my first year or two of blogging - it was so much more interesting, funny, quirky, cool than what I've posted the past few years. Sigh. I'm regressing . . . . . . . .aaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!

Liz Hinds said...

I think that about mine too, Mary. But your posts are always wonderful.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

"...there is at least the possibility that someone else will read them."

that is it, in a nutshell, isn't it?

why we blog.

some say, it's for me. Hehhhh... if it was for them, they could type stuff out, print it, and put it in a box.

nooooo.... it's for us, Babe. it's on the possibility that some wandering soul, will stop and read!!!

and.... let's drop the "I don't really care of anyone comments." Bahhh-humbug... same as above. if you don't really care of anyone comments, type, print, put papers in a box.

mmmm, I am writing this, on monday (10/9), when I wrote a rant myself. and I am still in a "Give 'Em Hell" mood. :-))))))))) thank you for letting me rant a bit, here!!!!!

Luna Crone

Liz Hinds said...

You're welcome, Luna!