Sunday, December 31, 2017

Calm after the storm

Husband suggests I am drained after a week or more of festivities. I think it's possible. After a week of excitement, anticipation and stress.

Stress because:
I want to please everyone and fear I please no-one;
I want to be a good host and worry the turkey will give everyone salmonella or, worse, be dry;
I want to be the best possible granny but sometimes want to run and hide for just five minutes;
in short I want to be perfect but forget I'm human.

I look back and think of the things that went wrong. The broccoli being overcooked is the only thing that springs to mind. Oh and my timing of things so nothing is cooked at exactly the right moment and is less than hot when it arrives at the table.

Really it could be a lot worse.

But don't think I didn't enjoy Christmas. I had a lovely time and was very happy. It's just in the calm afterwards that I contemplate and think that Husband is probably right: I could be drained. What I'm working up to is the idea that maybe I should have a day off doing nothing?

Sounds good to me.
calm after the storm
Snowdrops from last January, a reminder of what is to come

No comments: