Saturday, December 02, 2017

Have you read Gilead?

Again in the car - I get most of my listening done there - I heard bits of a World Book Club programme where they spoke to the author of Gilead. Apparently it's one of President Obama's favourite books but he never told me so I've never heard of it let alone read it.

As I say I heard bits of it - having to get in and out the car interrupted my listening - so I may not have all these details correct.

The author said the name Gilead came from 'the balm of Gilead', a healing lotion, mentioned in the bible. I believe there are several towns in middle America named Gilead and it indicates that they were founded by abolitionists along the slave escape route, providing refuge and tunnels. The founding fathers were usually educated and intelligent people: teachers, preachers, doctors and the like.

It's a fascinating bit of history that I had no idea about so I am thinking about reading the book, which is told in the form of letters from a grandfather, a preacher, who wants to make sure his grandson understands the history of his people and the town. 

But I am not sure if it might be a bit heavy going for late night reading. The author read a section on the radio and I think an audio version would suit me just fine. Rather like Garrison Keillor, whom I love to listen to but can't read his books. 

A quick google reveals that Gilead by Marilynne Robinson won the Pulitzer Prize in 2005 so there will undoubtedly be someone out there who has read it and can recommend it or not. Some of the reviewers on Goodreads are less than fulsome.

2 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

It sounds interesting.

Ole Phat Stu said...

I didn't like it, probably due to not having a related background. YMMV, as you are a Christian lady, whereas I'm a mere Atheist.